Due to Kuramochi architecture design, mainly we use Hinoki wood in design and construction. Today, this blog would like to introduce you to the feature and beauty of Hinoki wood.
Hinoki wood is a species of Japanese cypress pine family. Commonly known as Japanese Cypress or Hinoki Cypress, this perennial prefers cold weather. This allows us to find Hinoki wood in countries such as Japan or in other cold countries. Hinoki wood is well known as a special characteristic wood with both the beauty of white-cream wood that is comfortable to the eyes and the gentle fragrance of the wood.
The word “Hinoki” is a word in Japanese, derived from the word “Hino” which means fire and the word “Ki” which means wood. When these 2 words are combined, they will get the meaning of “Hinoki” which is the “Wood of Fire “. Japanese people believe that it is a sacred wood. In the olden day, It was popularly used to make sacred wood for lighting fires in important rituals.
Including being the main structure of many important places especially castles, temples, and shrines that we still can be seen by these days. For example Osaka Castle or Horyuji Temple in Nara province is said to be more than 1,300 years old and is also made of Hinoki wood. Although we can find other species of Hinoki in different cold countries, but according to the survey found the Hinoki wood with the best quality, very rare and the most sought-after of the market is the Hinoki wood with an altitude of 2,800-3,100 meters around Kiso City, Nagano prefecture Japan itself.
- According to the inspection of the Royal Forest Department found that Hinoki wood is as strong as teak and hardwood is named the best quality in the world. As Thai people like us are popular to use teak wood to build houses and make various furniture the same as Hinoki wood is also popular in construction work for Japanese people as well. Including various appliances in the house that needs strength such as a table, cabinet, chair, shelf, bathtub, or even a wooden cutting board.
- Wood properties in addition to scratch-resistant strength, Hinoki wood also has special features which can resist mold, termites, ants, and various insects.
- Nowadays, Hinoki wood is used to make parquet or tongue trough for flooring, because the Hinoki wood has good heat dissipation and does not store heat in the wood.
- Hinoki wood absorbs musty smells well. Whether using Hinoki wood as a component of a house, furniture, or other appliances, will make the atmosphere in the house or building fresh, cool, and filled with a mild fragrance from wood all the time.
- As for the aroma properties, the unique fragrance of Hinoki wood is considered aromatherapy. From the research found that substances contained in Hinoki wood, it consists of Hinokitol, Rhodinic Acid, and Phytoncide. It has the property to stimulate the central nervous system. Causing emotional stability and helps to improve the physical condition causing the recipient to feel relaxed reduce anxiety and migraine headaches and also treat fatigue Stimulate blood circulation Treatment of respiratory problems such as asthma, allergies, nasal congestion and sinus infections, including the ability to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi and dust mites. Make purify the air and fresh.